The National Jr Angus Show is not just an opportunity to show cattle, but also a chance to participate in many educational contests revolving around Angus cattle. My kids compete in nearly all the contests, but their favorite is the CAB Cookoff. "CAB" is Certified Angus Beef and that is ultimately our end product, so the competition is centered around new recipes for certain CAB beef cuts, and a skit that is used to present the new recipe. Above you can see the team from Kansas in the 18-21 year old age group, steak division. Their theme was Gunsmoke and their recipe won 1st place!
This picture was taken as they invited the judges to sit at their table in the Long Branch Saloon, and sample the spicy chili pepper smoked steak topped with whiskey butter (of course, no alcohol is allowed in the contest, so whiskey extract was used. You can use either for the recipe below).
If you are looking for a new steak rub, and you like a bit of kick, try this award winning recipe!
Cowboy CAB Steak and Whiskey Butter
2 Tbsp New Mexico chili powder
2 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp white pepper
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp Sugar-in-the-Raw
4 CAB Ribeye Steaks, cut 1 ½” thick
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 slices Whiskey Butter, recipe below
1. Combine in bowl chili powders, paprika, peppers and sugar.
2. Prepare grill for direct cooking over low heat.
3. Just before grilling, remove steaks from refrigerator, pat with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Brush steaks with oil, sprinkle about 1 Tbsp of rub and a little salt on each steak, rubbing in with fingers.
4. Place steaks directly over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Turn and grill 5 more minutes for medium-rare doneness. Remove from grill. Let rest at least 5 minutes for the juices to reabsorb.
5. Top steaks with Whiskey Butter, serve warm.
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 shallots, minced, soaked in Whiskey or non-alcoholic Whiskey Extract
3 tsp minced parsley
½ tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp Whiskey or Whiskey Extract
½ tsp sea salt
White pepper to taste
- Combine butter, shallot, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire, Whiskey extract, salt and pepper. Mix well. Drop butter onto waxed paper, roll into log. Refrigerate until hard and easy to cut, at least 3 hours. May store in refrigerator up to 1 week, in freezer for up to 3 months.